29.1.05

home.... from an mk's point of view

just had an email from my friend, gabe, who three days ago left for scotland.... his p.s. so struck a chord with me as i too have often wondered just where home is.... when we start identifying what (or where) home is a bit more what are we losing? as mk's we tend to identify not so much with a place as much as perhaps with a people or an experience... or perhaps with a lifestyle... anyway, here's his p.s.....

P.S. One experience I forgot to mention in the email - today was the first time, I think, that I called the USA home. I usually don't call anywhere home, leastwise the USA, but I referred to something as home, meaning back in the States, and it really startled me. I guess it's a good thing because it means I've accepted life there and I'm enjoying it and the people there are beginning to seem like a family of sorts, but at the same time it felt kind of weird, like I'd somehow become less of an MK or something. I still don't think I'd ever make that slip while in the US, or in Indoneisa, but somehow being here and rather out of anything familiar for basically the first time I guess is giving me a better idea of what other people feel like when they go overseas. Which is one of the reasons I came, so I guess this trip is already being good for me. Anyway, just another thought for you all.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Hey Amy! Although I'm not a MK, I can relate to Gabe's p.s. in a strange sort of way. I've always lived in the US and until 5 years ago, always assumed that the US would be home. Then I began traveling and the Lord called me to missions...since that first trip (Ecuador), Latin America has begun to feel more and more like "home" each time I'm there. For at least this next year, I guess it (Colombia) will be home. As someone once said, for me, home is where the heart is.